Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Great Cranbrook Drag Race of 1955

The graduating seniors, class of 1955, were in a celebratory mood.  The graduation ceremonies were over and about 400 jubilant teens streamed out of the doors of Birmingham High's gym into the parking lot.  Many of them still had on their gowns, although many had long since tossed their graduation caps into the air and lost them forever.

The day was bright and sunny and word had spread through the ranks that a special drag race was about to take place out on Cranbrook Road.  Two very unique cars were already lining up in the southbound lanes just south of Maple.  Members of the class of 55 were forming a line along the grass between the parking lot and the road.

One of the cars was a brand new 1955 Buick Century convertible with a standard trans. Not Dynaflow you understand, but a three-speed straight-stick.  This was a beauty; a lightweight Buick Special body by Fisher combined with Roadmaster power.  Buick had added 36 horsepower to its 322 cubic inch V-8, bringing the horsepower up to 236.  This was a very fast car and well it should be for its $3,000 price tag.  The car was so hot that it was featured on the popular new TV series "Highway Patrol" with Broderick Crawford.

The opposition for the race was a 1953 Ford Coupe with a full-race L-head V-8, also known as the "flathead."  This car was custom equipped with all the goodies to boost that engine to its utmost power.  It was unarguably a really fast car.  Bing had a substantial investment that was about to give him a major return in self-esteem.

John was driving the Buick with the top down and Bing, the Ford.  I was honored to be the starter from the passenger seat of Bing's Ford.  John didn't have a passenger, but that didn't bother Bing as he was confident that his fully equipped flathead could take John's "production" Buick hands down.

We waited until the traffic had cleared in front and back.  Then we pulled into the lanes side-by-side.  Needless to say I was in a state of high anxiety and turmoil.  The Birmingham High Class of 55 was lined up alongside the road to watch the spectacle. Both drivers were gunning their engines.  The Ford, with its dual exhausts, rumbled loudly with a throaty growl.

I had told the drivers that we would start the race on a count of three when I brought my hand down from a raised position.  Now was the time.

With my arm out the window between the two cars I did the countdown.

One...  Two...  Three!  My arm dropped and the Buick next to me roared off with squealing rubber.

Only then did Bing hit the gas and pop the clutch.  We screamed forward, the G-forces shoving me back in the seat.  The Buick was ahead by half a length.

Bing took the tack into the red in first gear, then slammed the stick into second.  We inched up on the Buick but he was still accelerating.

Now we were alongside our classmates, who were cheering and screaming for their favorites.  I couldn't see the speedometer, but we must have been inching well over 70 as we approached the finish line.

Then it was over.  The Buick had won by a nose.  Bing was devastated.  He turned to me and said "I couldn't see your hand."  My body was blocking his line of vision.  He'd gotten a delayed start.

I was devastated.  Although I haven't seen Bing in many years, I would venture to guess that he never forgot those moments on Cranbrook Road in 1955.

I know I haven't.








 

2 comments:

  1. Nice story Dave, I really enjoyed it. I always think of 1955 as my best year, because that's the year I came to US, Syracuse University film school. So anything related to 1955 has to be the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely done. This should bring some memories back to those old folks at the Woodward cruise. I'm sure the race description would earn a lot of grief from the more safety conscious younger cruisers but I doubt if they realize that in the 1950's Cranbrook road, as well as Birmingham, was in the middle of the boondocks.

    ReplyDelete