Tuesday, July 19, 2011

"The China Study"

Books are often bellwethers that mark a change in thinking and attitude that will ultimately impact our culture.  One such book I read a few years ago was "Collapse," by Jared Diamond.  It totally changed my thinking about growth economies that consume natural resources until there is nothing left to sustain a society or culture.  That book brought the word "sustainability" into my consciousness as it pertains to economics and politics, as I'm sure it did for many others.

Today I'm reading another such book, "The China Study," by T. Colin Campbell, PhD and Thomas M. Campbell II.  This book was recommended by a medical doctor. He has amplified his medical practice by treating patients with integrative or holistic treatments before turning to pharmaceuticals.  A change in life style, primarily diet, can go a long way toward improving overall health and preventing physical afflictions.   That's what this book is about.

"The China Study" is a well documented scientific report drawn from extensive research.  It reveals the impact of diet on diseases such as cancer, heart disease and diabetes.  Judging from what I've read so far, it looks as though a move down the food chain to eliminate all animal content contributes to better health.  It also bodes well for the animals.

I've noticed a change in thinking and attitude among the plethora of doctors that have entered my life as a I age.  During the last visit to my cardiologist, he was singing a somewhat different tune.  A word he used more than once was "functional."  I no longer need to take those expensive stress tests as often...as long as I'm "functional."  Could this be a result of new Federal health legislation?  Perhaps he and his colleagues no longer see a need for disproportionate testing given a diminishing risk of litigation?  Then again, could it be a growing collective awareness of the ever tightening grip the pharmaceutical industry has on all of us, doctors included?

Whatever the cause, I sense a ground-level philosophic shift among the medicos.  And it's for the better as far as I'm concerned.  I'm willing to make healthy changes in my life-style.  Been there.  Done that.  Those that aren't willing can take the pills, and more pills...and more pills.

2 comments:

  1. Do I sense a subtle negativity toward the Obama health care legislation? You seem to think it has to do with less fear of legislation by the medical establishment while I think it more likely that the new rules for doctor reimbursement is the reason. Hopefully they are to be based on patient results rather than the number of treatments provided; a much more realistic measurement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No negativity intended. I certainly hope you are right. Doctors have high overhead these days, including protection from litigation. I'm just happy to have less unnecessary testing thrown at me and I assume that's an offshoot of the new legislation.

    ReplyDelete