Sunday, July 17, 2011

From the "Church of What's Happenin' Now"

Always loved Flip Wilson's routine as the pastor of "The Church of What's Happenin' Now." "Now" is all there is. The past is memory and the future, fantasy. My sin is always fantasizing anyway about what's going to happen next. Let's face it, our city, country and world are changing at a rate approaching the speed of light. On all levels. So I like to identify something happenin' now that might indicate what we can expect down the road.  For this blog, I'm calling those things/people/events that may foretell what's coming "Bellwethers."  Whenever I see one, I'll note it in this blog and comment on where it might be taking us.  I probably won't be around long enough to see many of the changes take place, but I like to play the game anyway.  Unfortunately, or fortunately, this may not be enough content material to maintain a regular blog, so I'll have to fill in the gaps with some random imaginings. 

Nearly all my content will be drawn from Metro Detroit since that's my home turf, but Detroit is definitely a member of the "Church of What's Happenin' Now." We are a major bellwether for the rest of the country.  We've been dealing with "the mess" we're in for several years.  Out there off the Peninsula, the rest of the continent is just beginning to realize they're in the same mess that we are.  And they're watching us to see what solutions we might come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment